*shock* It's already wednesday!
So, it's already Wednesday which means that I've already been home for at least a week! *sigh* why, is this reading week going by so ridiculously fast? I'm actually surprised that I was actually able to get a bit of work done eventhough I was downtown for the past 3 days volunteering at a speech therapy clinic. It was awesome! I had the chance to job shadow these great speech therapist, sit-in on their therapy sessions, and learn more about what speech therapist do.
After 3 days of volunteering at least 8 hours a day, I feel like I've been there for at least a week! Anywayz, they were so caring, and welcoming and yeah, definitely a great experience. oh and the most amazing thing was that 2 of the speech therapist there, one that I met through connections/contacts and another one, were Christians! So, I got to understand from their perspective how it was being a christian AND a speech therapist. *smilez*
I've not only learned a lot about Speech, but also about a whole part of downtown that I've never laid eyes on. It's not that the area that I went to was a bad area, but the kids and the whole atmosphere was totally different compared to the 'sheltered' life that I was coming from. Uptown girl, and not going to public school until grade 10, and even then I went to school in a relatively 'upper class' neighbourhood. So, on monday..I remember sitting at the back of the streetcar and slowly the feeling of uneasiness crept up, as I left the downtown core and proceeded towards the area east of the DVP (Riverside I believe). As the 'crowd' on the bus began to change from downtown corporate men & women to teenagers on their way to school, and the neighbourhood changing to an older, more run-down part of town, I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable. Partly because I was actually sitting near the back of the bus where these teenagers were and, yeah..call me sheltered or whatever, but I was not used to the language, and behaviourism they were using...and partly because I knew that the area wasn't the most glamorous part of town. anywayz, what to take from this? I know that I am so blessed. Blessed beyond imagination, and you know what..in the end in terms of helping people. It takes a changing of perspective when being in such areas, and I believe we should be aware of the labels that we give to certain areas/people.. simply because they are from a certain area of town. Yes, it may be true that they're from that area, but it doesn't matter. God calls us to love them regardless, and they always need our help.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home